Friday, October 19, 2012

Bird's Nest Charm

I'm back with my latest craft! I found this tutorial on Pinterest, and I've loved these kinds of necklaces ever since they first made their appearance. So I thought it would be so cute if I made one for each of us!
Charm Tutorial

Soooo cute! But I don't have adorable beads like that just hanging around, so I went to the local beading store and bought individual beads. They had some that were actual gemstones, so I bought those! I also ended up with 26 gauge wire from Michael's because 20 gauge looked too big to fit into the bead holes and there was no 24 gauge at the store. 

My first charm was made of Tiger's Eye, Peridot, and Moonstone:
 The second was Sodalite, Amethyst, and Moonstone:
 And the last was Dragon Vein Agate, Black Agate, and Moonstone:

I added a jump ring on top of each charm so it could be easily attached to a necklace chain. The last thing I did was make each charm a little note card with the meaning of each stone on it. It makes it more fun! Here's the one that goes with the first charm, all I did was google "Tiger's Eye Meaning" for my information.
The snowflakes are just some embellishment from my mom's Stampin' Up! stuff. In the end, this project was just about $10 for all three charms. The wire was about $4 (and I have plenty left over for more!) and all 9 of the beads came out to being around $6 (that's including the jump rings too - but you can make them out of the wire - tutorial). Of course, if you buy bigger beads then it starts to get way more expensive incredibly quickly. In retrospect, I should've gotten the bigger jump rings - I think I'm going to have to trade mine out! Time wise, I think each charm only took me 30 minutes start to finish, so it'd be a good thing to do last minute for an unexpected gift.

Happy crafting!
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment